We’ve finally wrapped everything up for finals and the show, so now I’ve gotten around to putting all the documentation together. Here’s a recap of the Sound Tent at the 2017 ITP Winter Show. Continue reading to see the details of our final results.
The last couple weeks have been dedicated to taking our breadboard prototype version of the Sound House and turning it into the actual piece. I’ll talk about the updated system diagram and BOM, the user testing from last week, and our progress with fabrication.
Since the last class, Brandon and I have run a quick prototype of our project and created another design/prototype for the music interface.
This past week, we conducted playtesting of our cardboard prototype with Danny Rozin’s class.
The concept for the final project is structure that is inspired by the branching design of a tree and creates sound and lights when the user touches it. Here is the cardboard model Brandon and I are planning to bring to class for play testing.
We are planning on letting the user approach the piece with the instruction to make sound. We will observe what the user expects to happen and how they react to what we designed for this interaction prototype. Read more to see our initial plan for completing the project.
We finished our prototype! We still need to do some final clean up, but here’s a video of us getting it to work in the enclosure for the first time.
Read more below and also at Marco’s blog post!
The code and the circuit for the game is complete. We only need to fabricate the cube and run the Arduino wirelessly using Bluetooth. The game starts by hitting the start button all the way on the right. The user must hit the button of the corresponding LED within the allotted time. This amount of time shrinks with each button press until the user loses, at which point all the LEDs will flash.
An update to the progress of the game we are making for our midterm P Comp project. We currently have the circuit working without any count down timer. In the video below you can see that I am hitting the start button on the far right to activate the game. Next, I am matching the button I press to the LED that is lit up.
You have noticed that the analog pots are now replaced with buttons, and this was done just to simplify. As time allows, we will make some functions to allow us to switch out the buttons for different analog sensors.
For the P Comp midterm, Marco Wylie and I are working on a game that is kind of mash-up of bop-it and a fidget cube. The device will be a box with LEDs and various switches/buttons on 5 sides (one side will have a handle and the on/off and start buttons). Our intention for how the user will interact with the game is below.
- Flip the power switch to on.
- Press “start” button to activate it.
- An LED on a random side will light up and the user will have 10 seconds to hit the switch on the corresponding side.
- If the user successfully hits the switch in time, another random side will light up and the user will have 9 seconds to hit the switch on that side… and so on. The time to hit each switch will decrease by 1 second every time.
- If the user misses the switch in the allotted time, they lose and all the LEDs will flash. The game is over.
- Once the game ends, the user can hit the start button to play again. Or turn off the power when he/she is done.
I am currently working on building the basic circuit and Arduino program for this. Here is the circuit that I built. It has pots, buttons, and LEDs that are each connected to the appropriate digital and analog pins.
So far I have set up the code so that I can get the LEDs to light up randomly when a button is pressed. I will need to add to the code so each LED is tied its button and so that it is connect to a timing system. Here is a short video and the code I have so far for the random LEDs lighting up.
I am starting to use asynchronous serial communication to connect what we are doing with the Arduino in P Comp with what we are doing with p5 in ICM. It’s pretty exciting with all the new possibilities, but first I wanted to see if I could use two sensors to make changes in a pre-existing p5 sketch I had.